Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Posting in Facebook could land you in jail

This is one example. Although the lady was drunk, and should have been sent to jail anyway, this is an example of how putting dumb things on Facebook may land you in jail. So be careful!!!!!


Facebook Posting Lands Woman A Contempt Of Court Charge 
Posted: Sep 10, 2012 6:03 PM 
A common acronym for "laugh out loud" on the internet is "lol." But a Woodford County judge wasn't laughing over comments a woman posted on her Facebook page regarding a serious DUI crash. A crash, police say, she caused. Now, the judge has held the woman in contempt of court. 
Woodford District Judge Mary Jane Phelps warned Paula Asher over her Facebook postings about a serious DUI crash that happened on July 20. Asher didn't listen, and ended up in jail. 
Police say Asher drove drunk and t-boned another car with four people in it, then left the scene of the accident. The crash landed her in hot water, but so did her Facebook comments. "I didn't think 'lol' would put me in jail," said Asher. 
After the crash, Asher posted the following on her Facebook page: "my dumb (expletive) got a dui and I hit a car...lol." 
Some parents of the teenagers in the other car read the comments and told the court. That's when Phelps ordered Asher to close her Facebook account, but she didn't. "I really wasn't trying to make fun of (the crash)," claims Asher. 
The judge found asher in contempt of court and put her in jail for two days when she ignored the order and kept her Facebook account. "I had to go pull my time in," said Asher. "I did and they said I'm not allowed to have Facebook." 
Asher says she's learned her lesson. "I apologize to everybody," she said. "i apologize to the judge. I didn't mean to hurt anybody." 
Asher will face the judge again September 27 on all the charges, including possession of a controlled substance.

No comments: