Saturday, December 10, 2011

Good to see I am not alone. The trials and toils of christian ministry

Some time ago, I went to preach to a church. Afterwards, one of the leaders invited me to his house, and told me how annoyed one of the members was because he felt that my preaching was not good enough, and that I should give up being a pastor for that.  I felt bad.

I still remember the sermon, was on the great commission. I preached the same sermon at my home church some weeks before, and the senior pastor, who holds a Masters in Preaching, said it was a very well put, well developed sermon, which emphasised on the biblical theology of the great commission. I thought it was a good thing that this particular church learned some biblical theology too. What I got, was that a life long baptist said that what I preached was not a sermon at all!!!!!! Well, sorry, Peter in Acts 2 used biblical theology to support his points, but apparently, this man had never heard of such a thing!!! I saw him in one of our denominational gatherings, and somehow, he was hiding from me. He knew that I was in charged of a church, and well, had to eat his own words.

But I find what happened to Zwingli a source of consolation. Read a section of what he wrote about what was going on with him:

.. The hurry of business and the care of the churches occupy me to such a degree, that Dr. Engelhardt lately told me, he wondered that I had not before this time become distracted. For instance, I have been ten times called off since I began this letter. From Suabia they write to me for what I am not competent to perform for them; though I do what I can. From every part of Switzerland I am applied to by those who are in difficulties for Christ’s sake. If however any thing occurs in which I can be of use to you, do not spare me—for I hope for more leisure.…  (Trans. J. Scott).

I placed in bold what really struck me. As with me, he was told that he wasn't good enough for some people in Suabia. In my case, it was church in Melbourne's western suburbs.

It really bothers me when churches think so high of themselves, and want to make those who want to serve Christ and his church fell like a lesser kind of christian. Take a closer look, I didn't say "minister", but christian.

I admit, some don't have the gift of preaching, or visiting, or to do pastoral work to some people's high standards, but if you think you can do a better job, do it yourself, and then, brace yourself for the criticism.

I serve Christ, and his church under Christ's guidance. I wish all congregations would understand that some time, and treat their ministers as servants of God's, not servants of man:

Galatians 1:10
New International Version (NIV)
 10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

So there you go, I will listen to suggestions, but I must serve Christ, and please him with my ministry, not you!

P.D. This is a reflection of my past ministry, not a commentary on my present one.

No comments: